Saturday, August 23, 2008

What I Now Know

I got a phone call from the doctor Thursday and we found out what happened. I apparently had contracted a deadly bacteria called listeria. Jaret didn't even have a chance once i got it and had i not been hospitalized when I was, I wouldn't be here either. Its extremely rare and you get it from food, whether it be lunch meat, or veggies even. What happens so frequently is that doctors cant make sense of what you have and think its a really bad case of the flu and when they figure it out, its too late. By the time i ended up in the hospital, it had already hit my nervous system and my body had already started to shut down. The dr and nurses knew they were fighting to keep me, but they were terrified cause at the time they didn't know what they were fighting. I hadn't half a clue what was going on because they had me so pumped full of morphine on top of everything else and all i could think about what losing Jaret.

You never think when you are sitting down to lunch that what you are eating is going to kill your baby and possibly you. The department of health has gotten involved due to how rare listeria is and is investigating and started calling me. Of all the doctors at the clinic and all the years some of them have been practicing, not one of them has EVER seen a case. My dr knows of one dr who has seen a case in California. Life is precious and life is fragile. My baby boy was perfect and healthy and in the blink of an eye sickness took him and tried to take me. I was so careful this pregnancy, i was paranoid with what i ate. When it comes down to it, it doesn't matter how careful you are, you can never be sure of anything. I miss my baby boy.

No comments: